Start a new topic

Hide Canvas Navigation

I see the navigation is being hidden in the upcoming release, but it would great if we could hide the navigation for the users and just user Design Tools built navigation. This would allow us to direct the path of the user better for specific learning goals, and less clutter on the page.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the suggestion. I can understand the desire to hide the Canvas navigation, however, I try to avoid tampering with Canvas outside of the user created content due to how many things can go wrong when we start doing that. I have made tweaks outside the user content in the past as part of my role at USU and there are a lot of little changes that Canvas makes in the background that can break this type of additional tweak. I do love that Canvas has added the ability to collapse the course navigation. What I might be able to add would be some code that will trigger that control to hide the course navigation when the page loads.

That would be a great option to have. Especially since the Cidi Labs navigation looks so nice in comparison.

Alright, I have written some code that will look for an element with the class "kl_collapse_course_nav", if it exists, it will trigger the toggle to hide the course navigation. The code will go through additional testing and should make its way into the September release. I don't know when or where it will get a control in the sidebar but the code to hide it will be available in September so you can manually add that class to any element to take advantage of that functionality. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Login or Signup to post a comment